Man of Sorrows! what a name
For the Son of God, Who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
-Philip P. Bliss (1875)
Today I picked up a friend of mine and was driving to meet some girl friends from Grace for brunch when she started talking to me about Easter. I was half distracted as she rambled on about finding the perfect outfit to wear for Sunday and how it would double as her graduation dress; until she mentioned Good Friday. The first thing she said that finally registered with me was when she asked, "Why is it called GoodFriday?" My answer was that it was "good" for the reason that Jesus took on all the sins of the world and experienced the full wrath of God that we deserved.
I was feeling pretty good with that answer and inwardly patting myself on the back when she expressed further confusion at the word "good" being associated with death. It was at that point that I resorted to ending the conversation on that subject with, "It must be a Catholic thing. Maybe you should ask one."
I was unsatisfied with my answer as well so I did a little googling and found that my answer is correct, but something else I didn't know is that "good" is a variation from "God's Friday." I actually found that on a Episcopalian church, not Catholic. To see more definitions of the church click here.
God doesn't want us to focus on the sadness of Jesus's death, although it is important that we remember what He did for us, rather He wants us to celebrate His resurrection! That's why Easter comes after Good Friday. We remember His great sacrifice that was wrought with pain and suffering and then we praise His Holy name and shout with gladness that He rose three days later just as He said He would! Hallelujah! what a Savior.
I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd risks and lays down His own life for the sheep. John 10:11
HE IS RISEN!
HE IS RISEN INDEED!
Start spreading the word: Abort73 Graphics / Abort73 Shirts
Start spreading the word: Abort73 Graphics / Abort73 Shirts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment