This morning, like all Thursday mornings lately, I spent four hours over at Forerunner church babysitting for a bunch of toddlers while their moms met in a Bible study. Today it was just myself, Ashley, Rosa, and Liesl and a ton more kids then were there last week! So Ashley, Rosa, and I worked with the older kids (i.e. toddlers and home schooled school age kids) in one room while lucky Liesl stayed in the nursery with just one baby. I was so jealous by the end of the morning when my head began to throb from the constant noise we were subjected to today. Bring on the ibuprofen.
Anyway, we had been having a little trouble as usual with one kid, Jordan (not his real name) that doesn't really talk much but is always pushing other kids out of the little car and causing terror. He was adopted form Africa less than a year ago. Then there's this other kid, Jimmy (not his real name) who talks up a storm but no one can understand a word he says including me. So it happened that they were in the same area of the room and were kind of playing with the same plastic container. Jimmy was curling up in it and then another random kid would put the lid on him. Then Jordan decided he wanted to get in the box, but Jimmy wouldn't get out and proceeded to bite Jordan which caused hysterics to ensue. Ashley and I were right there so we both immediately try to figure out what happened and we look at Jordan's thumb and it has two definite teeth marks in it and one side is actually bleeding slightly where the teeth broke skin. Ashley and I had no idea what to do. I think she might have tried to clean the wound, but then she handed him over to me and told me that she would talk to Jimmy while I wiped Jordan's disgustingly soggy nose while he was still screaming bloody murder.
We finally got through the situation and thankfully all the moms there know each other and are really good friends so there wasn't a problem later when we told the two moms about their kids. When all the moms came to pick up there kids each one kept telling us over and over again what a blessing we are to them because God has really been amazing for them in the Bible study and the kids really enjoy us. I couldn't help thinking each time gosh, it's not just you guys that are being blessed but I come away each week feeling like I've been blessed to work with such great kids.
Each week we're supposed to have a time set aside to listen to praise and worship music with the kids and encourage them to praise God. When I first saw that on list of things to do I was like how in the world are we going to get these little kids that can barely talk to praise God??? Then I remembered that in Deuteronomy we are not only instructed to make sure that God's word is hidden in our own hearts, but also that we impress upon even the youngest of children a heart that loves God and longs to serve Him. Sometimes I really feel cursed with my Thomas-eyes. But I thank God that He still reveals to me what I need at the exact time I need it when I call out to Him. Praise God!!!
Just watching the kids this week was an amazing experience. Ashley just played one song for them and got them to do hand motions to the words that were really beautiful. After about the third time the kids were able to sing and motion along with the chorus and the sight was so uplifting. Ashley was talking to me earlier about how she had heard a speaker on the subject of children say that God is more than a vegetable (referring to Veggie Tales), and that we should start expecting even the youngest child to be able to worship God and become proactive with the kids in the church teaching them early on to be open to God's touch. How true? How many times have I seen in the nurseries and Sunday school kids being babysat by a TV and a video of Veggie Tales while their parents are in church? Again, my spirit gains more and more confidence that this is indeed where God has placed me in His ministry...to work with the children of the world. It's so exciting to see God at work around me and in me and when I get to join Him in His work the experience is always more and more amazing. I can feel my heart continuing to grow towards His and I just can't begin to explain how I long for everyone to experience this!!!
Deuteronomy 6:4-7
Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God is one Lord the only Lord.
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your mind and heart and with your entire being and with all your might.
And these words which I am commanding you this day shall be first in your own minds and hearts; then
You shall whet and sharpen them so as to make them penetrate, and teach and impress them diligently upon the minds and hearts of your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up.


No comments:
Post a Comment